Handling Unit: Office of Labor Inspection
People to Contact: Mr. Shi
Contact Number: 04-22289111#36622
◎ What is the Labor Health Examination?
According to the Article 20 of Occupational Safety and Health Act, when hiring the employees, the employers shall give them a physical examination. A physical examination here is a body checkup the employers provide to workers to identify their fitness for work and to know whether or not they have unsuitable diseases to works. In-service workers shall have the following examinations: 1. General health examination: it is a physical examination the employers provide to workers to know the body conditions of workers so that they can offer workers a proper health management like health guideline and fitness for work. Workers will have different examination test times in accordance with their ages or the change of work position. People who are at age 50 shall take a physical exam every year, those who are at age 40-65 shall take it every three years and every five years for those who are under 40. 2. Special physical examination: This exam is for workers that are exposed to special health hazards in their work to help the employer know their body situations and give them a proper health management like health guideline and fitness for work. Their examination test taking time will be based on the hazards in their works. 3. Physical test for designated targets and exams: this is a provisional exam test for high-risk workers that may have suffered from occupational diseases already, or for the investigation of occupational-suspected diseases and epidemiology research. Central governing authority will notify the employer to do the specific examination items for special workers. The former exam shall be done by the doctors at the Central governing authority-conferred Medical Center approved by Central Health governing authority. The employers shall keep the exam record, pay for the physical examination and provide the medical center all the job experience information of workers, including job content and exposure situation of workers.
◎ Which health exams shall the Central governing authority designated specific targets and examination items take? (New!)
According to the notification announce by Ministry of Labor on January 5, 2018, “night-shift workers are the designated targets for the employer to do the designated health examinations,” and the exams will implement from January 1, 2019 to December 31, 2020. There are two types of night shift works, which are working by days and by hours with working time from 10 pm to 6 am. The designated targets are workers who are over 700 hours of annual night-shift working hours, or whose working days of 3-hour night shift are half of total monthly working days and last for over 6 months. Workers who reached the standard in 2018 shall have the health exam in 2019 and gets the checkup in 2020 when reached the standard in 2019. The test is not qualified for the health exam subsidy in the occupational diseases prevention of workers but in accordance with the Article 20 of Occupational Safety and Health Act, the employers shall pay the inspection fee for workers.
◎ Special health hazard works that need to take designated health exam tests:
- Work in Heat stress environment
- Work in noise environment
- Work in Ionizing radiation environment
- Work in abnormal pressure environment
- Work in lead environment
- Work in IARC environment
- Work in dusty environment
- Work in organic solvent environment, the one that designated by Central governing authority.
(1.) 1, 1, 2, 2- tetrachloroethane
(2) Carbon tetrachloride
(3) Carbon bisulfide
- The work related to the chemical substances manufacturing, placement or using
- Benzidine and its salts
- 4-Aminodiphenyl and its salts
- P-nitrobiphe-nyl and its salts
- β-Naphthylamine and its salts
- (Dichlorobenzidine and its salts
- Beryllium and its compound (Beryllium alloy: The compound shall contain no more than 3% of beryllium.)
- 2, 4-Toluene dilso-cyanate or 2, 6-Toluene dilso-cyanate
- 4,4- Methylene Bisphenyl Isocyanate
- Isophorone Diisocyanate
- Asbestos (for placement and operation use only)
- Chromic acid and its salts or dichromates and its salts
- Arsenic and its compounds
- Cadmium and its compounds
- Manganese and its compound (except Manganese Oxide and Manganese trioxide)
- Ethyl mercury compounds
- Merchury and its compounds
- Nickel and its compounds
- The manufacturing, placement or using Phosphorus in work
- The manufacturing of Paraquat
- Other works designated by Central governing authority. 1. The operation of compounds that will manufacture, place or use over 5% of the following chemicals: 1. Bromopropane 2. 1, 3-Guidechem 3. Indium and its compounds
◎How long shall the company keep the records of special health exam?
The company shall keep the records of special health exam for over ten years. However, the exam records for workers who manufacturing, placing and using the following chemicals in the works shall at least keep them for 30 years, including areionizing radiation, dusty, trichloroethylene, and tetrachloroethylene environment, in benzidine and its salts, 4-aminodiphenyle and its salts, p-nitrobiphe and its salts, β-naphthylamine and its salts, dichlorobenzidine and its salts, α-aminonaphthalene and its salts, beryllium and its compound, chloroethene, benzene, chromic acid and its salts, dichromates and tis salts, arsenic and its compounds, nickel and its compounds, 1,3-Guidechem, formaldehyde, indium and its salts.
◎When shall they need to take the special health exam?
Workers who conduct the specially health hazard work assigned by the employer shall have special physical exam when employed or changing the work position, except those who take the exam less than 1 year. In-service labors shall take the special physical exam once a year.
◎The Health Management Classification for Special Hazard Work:
- The level 1 of health management: The test results of special health exam or follow-up exam workers taken are fully normal or partly abnormal, after the analysis, thedoctor verdicts workers are health.
- The level 2 of health management: The results of special health exam or follow-up exam workers taken are partly or fully abnormal, after the analysis, the doctor verdicts workers are sick, but the sickness is not caused by works.
- The level 3 of health management: The results of special health exam or follow-up exam workers taken are partly or fully abnormal, after the analysis, the doctor verdicts workers are sick. However, the sickness may not be associated with work and shall have a professional doctor for further check.
- The level 4 of health management: the results of special health exam or follow-up exam workers taken are partly or fully abnormal, the doctor verdicts workers are sick after the analysis, and the sickness is caused by work.
If the above exam results of Workers are in the level 2 of health management or above, it is the doctor that shall notify the works that are not suitable for workers to do and the precautions and the things to handle with. The doctor shall have the clinical diagnosis report to those whose test results are in level 3 or level 4 of health management."
◎How do the employers implement health management for workers?
“If the result of special health exam provided by employers is in the level 2 of health management, the employer shall give workers personal health guideline. For those whose exam result is in the level 3 of health exam, the employers shall have the physician of the Department of Occupational Medicine to do the follow-up exam to workers, give on-site evaluation to check whether or not workers have the disease related to their work if necessary, reclassifies the evaluating result and the treatment and go to Labor Health Protection Management Information Reporting Website https://hrpts.osha.gov.tw/hrpm/ to file out online reporting form. For those whose exam result is in the level 4 of health management, if doctor still feel there is risk factors in the workplace after on-site evaluation, the employer shall give the risk control measures.”
◎ Which units can report and check the records of special health exam and follow-up exam?
- After taking the special health exam, the employers shall complete the last-month inspection information record before the 10 days of next month after the exam taking. If the employer wants to have special health exams of workers by Medical tour service in company, the employers shall go to “Labor Health Protection Management Information Reporting Website” (https://hrpts.osha.gov.tw/hrpm/) and file out the reporting form online 10 days before taking the special health exam. 2. For workers whose exam result is in the level 3 of health exam, the employers shall have the physician of the Department of Occupational Medicine to do the follow-up exam to workers, give on-site evaluation to check whether or not workers have the disease related to their work if necessary and go to Labor Health Protection management Information Reporting Website https://hrpts.osha.gov.tw/hrpm/ to file out online reporting form.